- This event has passed.
(H) Understanding Zoning and How it Works in Real Estate
March 4 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
DATE: Wednesday, March 4 | T IME: 10:00am-12:00pm
Understanding Commercial Zoning and How It works in Real Estate
With Jose Garrido
This course introduces the basic techniques of zoning and land use regulation in Miami Dade County today with an emphasis on regulations that support sustainable development patterns. Attention is given to Commercial Real Estate and Development and incidence of a variety of zoning and land use regulations, from the comprehensive plan to advanced techniques including growth management and recent sustainable zoning practices.
Of interest is a focus on the practical questions of what works, what doesn’t, and why? Guided by a wide range of sources the lecture is structured incorporating the following five areas in Commercial Real Estate properties: 1) General Land Use Regulations 2) Zoning designations and regulations 3) Growth Management 4) Development Fees 5) Regulation of Form Based Codes. 6) The Zoning Hearing Process and Contract Phase
The lecture program presents an introduction to the subject theory and practice. Topics include the comprehensive plan, subdivision regulations, zoning principles and practice (history and general practice), sustainability (defined), town planning, sustainable zoning and development codes, growth management (state and local), and aesthetics and design regulations (including signage ordinances and form-based zoning).
• Zoning / The basics introduction.
• The what and why? Zoning district designations defined.
• The code maps, regulations and types. State, County and Municipality.
• How it all works as to Real Estate.
• The players in the development process.
• Type of Assets and Zoning / Commercial Office/ CBD/ Retail / Condos / Mixed Use/ Business Opportunities
• Zoning Code Numbers and Regulations. City of Miami / Miami21 / Miami Dade County Chapter 33
• Evaluating Commercial Property, vacant and existing.
• How it all comes together in the development process.
• Zoning legal permissibility of vacant lands, retail and office categories
Case Studies and the Zoning Hearing Process
– Goulds Urban District
– Survey / Platting Process
– Due Diligence Process
• The Zoning Hearing process.
• Variances, district boundary changes defined.
• CDMP amendment cycle.
Other topics briefly discussed:
ZONING AS THE PRINCIPAL TOOL OF CONTROL OF LAND USE
• Density and Intensity of Use Restrictions; Site Development Requirements; Residential Districts, Accessory Dwellings etc.
• Commercial and Industrial Uses; Nonconforming Uses
• The Role of Zoning Change; The Zoning Variance, Special Use Permits, and Site Plan Review
• The Zoning Amendment: Vested Rights, Inclusionary Zoning, Quasi-Judicial Versus Legislative Rezoning
• The Role of the Comprehensive Plan
• Flexible Zoning and Zoning Innovations: Incentive Zoning, Special Districts, Performance and Overlay Zoning
• Mixed Use Development, Transit-Oriented Development, New Urbanism, Form-Based (and Smart) Codes; Preserving Agricultural Land
Presentation: 10:00am – 12:00pm
Members $15/ Non-Members $30
Onsite Members $25/ Non Members $50